Friday, September 28, 2007

the sacred crab


I have always believed that horseshoe crabs are a sacred animal. The american indians held the belief of power animals, animals that held magic/ sacred properties such as buffalo and eagles etc.. The medicine men believed in finding your own sacred animal that would guide you through the world. I am pretty confident my "animal" is the sacred horseshoe crab. The horseshoe crab is already used in saving human lives through its blue blood. A close artist friend brought me over a gift of five crabs she found on the beach. I decided to lay them out as they are on my other website...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Horseshoe crabs ARE very special, I agree. I have been fascinated with them for quite a few years and have collected their shells when we go to the shore in Cape Cod. You might like the Dupont Nature Center site or a visit there if you are near Delaware at an time. The have wonderful exhibits explaining the Horseshoe crabs'history, benefits to mankind, etc. You would also enjoy the book Crab Wars.