Tuesday, October 2, 2007

queens final


I had to make some changes as usual-- so this is the final final cover for queens yellow pages. This is the fifth time I painted this unisphere. It is left over from the 1964 worlds fair and is the first thing I remember seeing when I moved to NY from Texas as a child. For the first time I mixed photoshop and oil painting. I think I was the last artist still painting book covers with actual paint. The structure of this thing is nightmare to paint so I opted for a photoshop and oil paint approach. It is hard to keep things fresh when you have painted them many times but that is part of the challenge. Michelangelo stayed for four years on the chapel and actually got better as he progressed. So painting a small painting of the unisphere is not much of a battle!

No comments: