Saturday, May 19, 2007

critic

last night an intelligent and well meaning gentleman told me I was cheaping my art by doing this...He was a great guy so it did not upset me. He knows a lot about marketing. I am simply trying something new, a different paradigm. If you dont risk things you will not grow. I think the only way to cheapen art is to make art you dont believe in for a market. My art comes from a place I don't quite understand and never will completely. You are bound to face some issues when you try something new. I think much of the art I see on elite white walled galleries is dishonest tripe and i think much of america and world feels alienated from art because they are "not art educated"honest art" moves you and stirs feelings in any viewer. Picasso wanted his art to be understood by even a plumber, yet at the same time he was a big part of the reason people feel alienated from the art world. It is a sympton of modern life. We have lost the Dream time and the mystery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex,
You're not cheapening your art, rather, you're breathing new life into it. By opening up the vault and letting these pieces go, you're giving the world a new, fresh perspective. Who cares if someone came to appreciate a piece of art simply because the artist let it go for ten dollars? Isn't the point that they appreciate it and not stress over what it cost? I think this is a brilliant idea, and I know more about marketing than most. I love the fact that I could own a piece from an artist I normally couldn't afford to invest in. Keep it going, Alex, it's an outstanding idea!!

Anonymous said...

You are not cheaping art.. You are doing what it is about. LET IT BE SEEN. Art is not made to make money, it is ART. Whether it is 10 million or 10 bucks it should be seen and loved. Guy is an idiot. YOU are an artist. Van Gogh never sold a painting, are they any less masterpieces because no one bought one from him?