Monday, February 11, 2008

perception as I understand it

Every chef I know hates Emeril--I think I understand why. What makes Emeril great (aka popular) is that he is fun to watch and very entertaining. That is at least 50% of what makes him a success. It is more than the cooking or being a "good" chef--- he is a character and that counts as much as his shrimp marinara . Most artists and chefs have the personality of lawn furniture and the frustrated psyche of an ice salesman in the antarctic. People love to knock others when they rise up a bit as it makes them feel better about themselves. That is not a good or bad thing, it is just the way it is. I may not be the greatest living artist but I am allowed to think I am. If I want to sell the idea that I am the greatest, I must believe it first, otherwise you will never buy my ice. Art is perception and perception is a wiggly worm on the end of a strange hook called reality.

No comments: