Thursday, October 11, 2007

michelangelo

This is Michelangelo's dome at st. peters in rome. I would like to share some info regarding the dome. Michelangelo designed this dome to be a true semi- circle. It was completed after his death and was altered to be "stretched up" a bit, (so it stood taller.) It is no longer a true semi- circle and therefore not really his dome. I find this very interesting and a bit insulting to "the man." If you are ever in st. peters think of Michelangelo's dome with an asterisk. Maybe now the person who keeps calling me dude can grow some culture in his-petri dish mind and upgrade his vocabulary to sir alex.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex,

I'm rusty on the details...I thought Raphael was the architect of the original Basilica of St. Peter's...does that mean the dome wasn't even Michaelangelo's to begin with? Or was Raphaels's version domeless? I should have paid attention during art history...

Maryd