Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Mission Statement

I decided as I near my 300th post on my blog. I would prepare a mission statement and make it clear what I am doing and why I am doing it. I started this site on a whim, I am very nomadic and move around a lot and every time I move I cart around my artistic past with me in big blue plastic storage bins. Sometimes I feel my past is holding me back a bit in art and I am too attached to what was. What is important in life is what is. I decided to let go of the past and let it inform my present and future (all in a fairly public forum.) This has been a great cathartic process for me as I air out the dirty laundry of my past art "attempts." I often feel that we live life driving in reverse using the rear view mirror. My commitment with this site is to get art out to people who really care about art and to make enough of a living to keep me "in the paints". I still do some commercial work, ambassador yellow page covers etc---I enjoy them and they do not encompass all my time and they even teach me things. Every person who buys a piece of art-- be it 10 dollars or $10,000 is giving me a gift that enables me to continue my one and only passion. I am grateful to all the people who have bought or continue to buy my art and contribute to my growth as an artist and human.

No comments: