Friday, June 8, 2007

Does Humor Belong In Art?



The mind of Gardega does like to ponder this question...If you look at the sketchbooks of picasso and other great artists, Dali, even Leonardo and Degas you can find many "funny" sketches and cartoons...Yet when It came down to their to finished works, they are always pretty "serious" looking things. The cartoonist/political humorist Honore Daumier was a huge influence on "fine artists" including picasso. He was also an amazing draftsman. I love the work of Charles Addams and Gahan Wilson and edward gorey who are considered merely cartoonists. The thing is that humorists must be very clever. Most artists are dumber than tree stumps and have the sense of humor of a bazooka gum wrapper. Dali said the only truly great artists are the ones who can write. (He was an amazingly engaging writer.) I believe that goes as well for humor..Comedians are always smarter than actors who are sometimes smarter than cabbage. I actually think Chris Elliot has a great under- appreciated mind. I will post some humorous pieces, I have been hesitant to do so..Maybe you can let me know if you like my "cartoony" work..please yay or nay on these works! If you do not respond I will stop posting my cartoons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris Elliot is not unappreciated. He has many rabid fans who miss both his show and loved his pirate movie. Johnny Dipphead wishes he could be as deep and as good looking!